Wenger reveals Giroud, Ozil face late fitness test ahead of Marseille clash

Ozil hugs Giroud at Sunderland
Arsene Wenger has revealed that Olivier Giroud, faces a late fitness test ahead of their UEFA CHampions League opening group game against Marseille.

“We have a few problems. Some with [Mesut] Ozil but the main one is Giroud, who has a knee problem. He will have a test tomorrow and hopefully he will be fit. But it will only be decided tomorrow,” Wenger told the club’s official website.

When asked about a potential replacement if Giroud is ruled out, Wenger replied: “I have not really thought about it that much but the obvious solution is [Theo] Walcott. We’ll see.”

Wenger also confirmed Mertesacker was available and he is optimistic Ozil will also be fit to face the French team.

“There is good news. Mertesacker will be available again after illness,” he continued.

“He [Ozil] was ill and has some tight muscles after Saturday. But I think he will be okay. We are optimistic.”
Giroud, who has scored in every league game so far, had insisted earlier, that he is ready for the match.

“It is not bad actually, not as bad as I first feared. I got a kick earlier in the game but no-one was near me when I did it this time,” he said.

“I tried to connect with the ball a little bit too early and I caught my foot in the grass. I twisted my ankle but fortunately, it is nothing major.

“I am OK, sure I will be fine [for Marseille].”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“I love Falcao and Cavani” – Wenger

We are not part of Lagos APC – APGA

ASUU strike update: Don’t send your children to school, we won’t teach them – Lecturers warn parents